Monday, April 5, 2010

Here Goes Nothing!!

This will be my first post ever and to be honest I'm feeling kind of nervous about it. I have been reading so many blogs and they are so interesting, mine to be honest will probably be quite uneventful.

Here is a bit of history anyway:

I'm a 32 year old mum, wife and teacher. I have been overweight all my life and hated myself for it. Last September I was googling lap band surgery when a clinic not too far from me came up in the search. I had a look around the site and found that they were having an information night in September. So me in my usual emotional form ran into my husband and told him I wanted to go. He is very supportive and said he would come along with me. Fast forward 3 weeks and we are sitting in the car at the clinic, an hour plus early mind you and I am crying my eyes out because I am feeling embarrassed. My husband quite calmly turns to be and so eloquently says "well what do you think all the other people are going to be here for Nic?" Good point, I wasn't alone in my fears, everyone else who was attending that night also had all the same fears and issues as I did. Right, I pulled myself together and gave myself a pep talk about what a good step I was taking and I should be proud and not embarrassed. Anyhow, the night was fantastic and we were all there for the same reason and all felt exactly the same. I felt so good when I left the seminar that I rang the next day and booked my appointment.

Fast forward again and I've had my surgeon, dietician and psych appointments and I'm all booked in for the 17th December (what was I thinking CHRISTMAS)...
Anyway the 17th came and I was pleasantly surprised when I wasn't in total agony (I had prepared myself for the worst). Surgery went well and I wasn't feeling to bad...
This is where cockiness set in on my part... I was fine, minimal pain, no hunger... Why drink my shakes when I wasn't hungry??? BIG MISTAKE!!! Because I didn't feel hungry or thirsty I didn't drink my shakes or drink a lot of fluid... IDIOT!!! I got very sick and dehydrated and it took me a good 2 weeks to pick up. Christmas was a disaster because every time I got up to do anything I felt so sick and dizzy. By the way I still insisted on having Christmas at my house with the family.

Fast forward again to April... I'm almost 27kg down and haven't looked back.

Well I'll leave my first official post there and be back with more later. By then I may have thought of some funny little stories to add. Again I can't promise it will always be interesting or exciting...

Have a great day
Nic

1 comments:

Gen said...

Hi Nic - You have done fab so far!!! Great to see your blog, look forward to hearing more from you!